For the best experience please rotate your device to portrait.

Read More

Call us today!  1300 722 718

Sleep Disruption and How to Prevent It

Read More

Sleep Disruption and How to Prevent It

January 29th, 2020

A recent study found that 55% of respondents were meeting their sleeping needs to function on an everyday basis. This is a positive number, however that leaves 45% of respondents having an interrupted and unpleasant sleep (National Sleep Foundation, 2020).

Sleep disruption means an unhappy body whilst sleeping. Ideally if you’re sleeping on a supportive surface and having the right amount of sleep for your needs, you should wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. There shouldn’t be aches and pains and you shouldn’t be left tossing and turning every night just to try and get to sleep.

There are a number of factors that come into play when your sleep is disrupted.


The first is your environment, this includes your mattress. You need to pay attention to your body and uncover if it is “complaining.” If you’re struggling to fall asleep, tossing and turning often, waking up achy or in pain, that’s a sign that your mattress is not providing you with the support you need. It could be sagging in the middle, which can lead to pain and soreness in your neck, shoulders and back. Sleep is a time of restoration and recovery, so if your body is having to work during those eight hours of shut-eye to keep you comfortable, you’re not even giving yourself a chance for a good night’s sleep—and it might be time to invest in a new mattress.


Allergies are a common problem. For many people it is related to the dust mites and additional allergens that are trapped in mattresses that can make for an uncomfortable night’s sleep and feeling tired in the morning. The good news, is there is a solution! If your mattress hasn’t expired past the 7-10-year mark, you can buy a mattress protector (and pillow protector) that could potentially lessen your allergic reaction if you’re an allergy sufferer.


Are you a hot sleeper and wake up in the middle of the night overheated? If you’re sleeping on a memory foam mattress there is less breathability and might need a mattress with a type of cooling gel. Or look for a mattress with more natural materials to ensure there is less overheating. Many people buy “cooling” mattress protectors and sheets as alternative options. They help whisk sweat away from your body and add gel that will cool your body temperature down. If the support of the memory foam is important to you, then consider the temperature of the bedroom as well as the mattress.

If your sleep is being disrupted, try to pinpoint the reason and make small changes to your bedroom environment that could make a world of difference; before embarking on a mattress investment.